Roberto Docampo, Ph.D.
|Ph.D.||University of Buenos Aires||Argentina||1979|
|Ph.D.||Federal University of Rio de Janeiro||Brazil||1977|
|M.D.||University of Buenos Aires||Argentina||1972|
- Post-doctoral Experience
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, 1982-1986
- Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology, March 2010.
Georgia Research Alliance and Barbara and Sanford Orkin Eminent Scholar in Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases and Cellular Biology.
Member of the Editorial Board of Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology (1983-present), Experimental Parasitology (2005-2009), The Biochemical Journal (2005-2009) and Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (2008-2012); Associate Editor of The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology (2004-2007); Guest Editor of Acta Tropica (2002-2005), and Microscopy and Microanalysis (2004).
Foreign Member, Brazilian Academy of Sciences (1999-present).
Burroughs Wellcome Fund New Initiatives in Malaria Research Award (1999-2001) and Burroughs Wellcome Fund/American Society for Microbiology Visiting Professor in the Microbiological Sciences (2000-2001).
- Research Interests
- Major research interests involve the rational approach to chemotherapeutic control of parasitic infections. The main, basic strategy is to search for metabolic pathways in parasites that may be essential for survival of the parasites but may not find an equivalent counterpart in the host. Thus, one could look for specific inhibitors of such metabolic activities as possible means of controlling the parasites without damaging the hosts. Currently our efforts are concentrated on the characterization of ion homeostasis mechanisms in trypanosomatids and malaria parasites, and in the mechanisms involved in invasion of host cells by intracellular parasites.
- Representative Publications
- Patel, S., and Docampo, R. (2010) Acidic calcium stores open for business: expanding the potential for intracellular Ca2+ signaling. Trends Cell Biol. 20(5): 277-286
Ramos, I.B., Miranda, K., Ulrich, P., Ingram, P., LeFurgey, A., Machado, E.A., de Souza, W., and Docampo, R. (2010) Calcium- and olyphosphate-containing acidocalcisomes in chicken egg yolk. Biol. Cell 102 (7): 421-434.
Docampo, R., Ulrich, P., and Moreno, S.N.J. (2010) Evolution of acidocalcisomes and their role in polyphosphate storage and osmoregulation in eukaryotic microbes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365(1541):775-784.
Donald, B., Cannon, G., Dahl, C., Docampo, R., Fuerst, J., Heinhorst, S., Maupin-Furlow, J., Pfeifer, F., Preiss, J., Schüler, D., Steinbüchel, A., and Shively, J. (2009) Intracellular structures of Prokaryotes: Inclusions, compartments and assemblages. In: The Encyclopedia of Microbiology, 3rd Edition. Schaechter, M., Ed. Elsevier, p. 404-424.
Patel, S., and Docampo, R. (2009) In with the TRP channels: intracellular functions for TRPM1 and TRPM2. Sci. Signal. 2 (95):pe69.